Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow!!!

No shooting today.  Yesterday I spent the day prepping for the storm, and today unburying from it.  We got quite a bit.  Actually, we didn't really get that much snow, maybe a foot or so, but it drifted really bad.  I had a drift outside my front door that reached up to my chest.  Same in the back yard.  The ol' John Deere snow thrower got a workout today.

Then halfway through clearing my driveway, the village idiot -- 3 houses down -- decides to drive her little 2 wheel drive car down the street to get lord knows where (everything was closed).  Since the plows hadn't been through yet, the bottom of her car was lower than the snow.  She ended up getting stuck right in front of my house.  So half the men on my street showed up to get her out, since the plows wouldn't be able to get through with her car in the middle of the road.  After half an hour, we finally got her out.  I have no idea what was going through her mind that she could drive out.

 My snow thrower handled the snow like the horse that it is until I did the back sidewalk and hit the dog chain (actually a wire).  Stripped both shear bolts, through the auger axle off, and made the belt jump.  Then of course the snowplows came through and buried the entrance in a 4 foot high wall of snow. Thankfully my neighbor came over with his snow thrower and helped me out.  What a great guy.  So, after making a run to the local J. Deere dealer, I got some more shear bolts and got her up and running for round 2, whenever that hits.  Now tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be -20 to -30, so no more snow for awhile.

Never a dull moment.  I did manage to pick up Mac OS X Snow Leopard today, so I can upgrade my video editing for my Youtube channel (youtube.com/762x51n8o).  I'll probably trek out to the range tomorrow to see if there is anything even sticking above the snow.  If they didn't have a "no explosive target" policy, I would take my reactive Star Target out to clear some snow for them.



Peace out and GO PACKERS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment